Lyric in Taylor GC 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyric in Taylor GC 4

I am new to this forum and new to the Baggs Lyric. I received it yesterday and installed in my Taylor GC 4 (Grand Concert). At low volume it sounds very nice and natural but a bit of volume and it becomes boomy and wants to feedback. Also, I notice a spike on the b string. It stands out more than when unplugged. I placed the mic as directed on the plate and I think I had it pretty well centered. Should I experiment with a different placement and if I do, will the adhesive need to be replaced?

Hi amcasci,

I replied to your email from earlier this morning. We will get this figured out as quickly as possible.

Comment

So...the pickup was very close to the end pins. I moved it forward and not it is about 2 inches away. It smoothed out the sound and it is less prone to feedback and booming. But now I am hearing a bit more finger noise as I move on the strings. I have the presence off after experimenting with it. It is a powerful tool but to piercing for my ears. It may help to know I play through a Fender DRRI. Things may sound very different through a PA or acoustic amp. At slightly lower volume I like the sound. As volume increases I like it a bit less. Perhaps some more experiment with placement is in order.

Comment

It just dawned on me that I may have moved far enough forward that I am not on the bridge plate. I will check that out. There seems to be much room forward of the bridge in the Taylor GC 4.

Comment

Hi amcasci,

I would first try playing the guitar through a PA or acoustic amp. Your acoustic will sound and react very differently through an electric guitar amplifier. Here is a link to a video that does a great job in explaining the differences between the different amplifiers: https://youtu.be/XcKhHUSFa3w

As for the mic placement, reference the installation notes that I sent to your email and compare them to where you placed the mic in your guitar. Placement of the mic can make a pretty significant difference in the amplified tone of your guitar.

Let me know what you discover!

Comment

The Lyric is performing admirably. It does sound very natural through my TC Hilicon FX 150 . I am a bit disappointed that it did not sound so good through my Fender DRRI but after all it is a microphone. On the whole I commend the Lyric to those who want a very natural sound.

Comment

Working...
            X