Lyric recorded sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyric recorded sound

I tried micing my guitar for the video below but gave up and instead used the Lyric with minimal tweaking on my PARA DI and then into the camera.

I'm happy with the natural sound and will be using the Lyric for my future recordings.

Please let me know what you think of the guitar sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jqbGcejWJU

Hey Mike,
    That sounds fantastic! The Lyric is a great compliment to that guitar. What guitar is that, by the way?

Comment

Great performance! I liked it a lot. Guitar sounds very natural.

But I think your mic is also picking up the guitar as well, which is also complimenting the sound.

Are both of the sources, mic + lyric in phase? Or is the phase reversed on one of the signals?

Thanks for posting btw 😃

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb_Elling View Post
        Hey Mike,
        That sounds fantastic! The Lyric is a great compliment to that guitar. What guitar is that, by the way?
        Hi Caleb

The guitar is a Martin D12-35 12 string which I had converted to a six string a year ago. I've lost interest in playing my other guitars. I find the 1 7/8" neck is better for my playing - I'm trying things I never did before.

Last summer I posted here on installing the Lyric under the lower end of the saddle instead of the standard recommended location - trying to use the same spot that worked well on top of the saddle with my old FRAP years ago. It worked OK there but I switched to standard location on my last string change and prefer the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney_UK View Post
          Great performance! I liked it a lot. Guitar sounds very natural.

But I think your mic is also picking up the guitar as well, which is also complimenting the sound.

Are both of the sources, mic + lyric in phase? Or is the phase reversed on one of the signals?

Thanks for posting btw 😃
          Thank you Rodney.

Of course you're right about the mic picking up the guitar sound. Not sure it's evident but I positioned the mic horizontally at 90 degrees to my voice so the cardioid pattern is pointing upwards, 180 degrees off axis from the guitar below - to minimize guitar sound on the vocal track. My guess is that the final guitar sound may be 80% Lyric 20% mic. But the mic may well be adding some subtle air to the lyric's sound. I don't have a phase reverse switch available on the Mackie mic channel - which I'm EQ cutting around 9 o'clock on the low frequency knob to control my voice boominess. The Baggs Para DI is set with its phase switch out which I read in another thread means standard phase ie "not reversed".

Comment

Working...
          X