No announcement yet.

LR baggs on godin acousticaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I have an older acousticaster that has a buzzing issue. I oppenned the preamp and there is a loose wire (yellow) comming off the shield. Any idea where this should be connected? See pictures... Thanks
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by cmayer View Post
      Hi, I have an older acousticaster that has a buzzing issue. I oppenned the preamp and there is a loose wire (yellow) comming off the shield. Any idea where this should be connected? See pictures... Thanks
      It's difficult to tell from the picture, but that wire doesn't appear to be part of the original circuit. It looks like the wire was added so that the preamp ground could be tied to the preamp cover for additional shielding. If that was the case, the wire would be redundant.

Does the hum diminish or change if the output jack is touched?

Comment

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. I think that the wire might have been touching components on the preamp, when I removed the cover it was not under it, it was floating around. I just purchased the guitar... I removed the wire and the buzzing seems to have disappeared. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi, I'm looking for a problem in the pre-amp of acousticaster, may I known the value of the resistor which is between out(red) and shield? Thank by advance. Best regard, Bob (France)
          image_18.jpg

Comment

Acousticaster diagram.jpg
            Here's a diagram that should help you with your connections. The output wire didn't have a resistor on it from the factory, so that may have been added later by a previous owner. The battery connections are on the upper left side.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you, but on the pic, (which is not mine) I have exactly the 2 same resistors added, and in my case the right one is 500KOhms, and wired as a divisor bridge, I think that output level is too low, that's why I asked you if this was genuine. Best regards. Bob.

Comment

Ok,
                I understand now. I thought you were referring to the parts that are highlighted in the picture.

The resistors on the back of the PCB are official, but there shouldn't be anything between the signal and ground leads of the output jack. If something was added there, it's likely affecting the output level of the system.

Comment

Thank you, I need to know the value of the right resistor, it's clearly solded between out signal (red wire unsold middle of grey and brown on the pic) and shield. Mine is 500KOhms. Best regards. Bob.

Comment

Well, I was wrong. I was able to find an older version that shows a 510k resistor (hand drawn) in the schematic. So that appears to be accurate to the modified design.

Comment

Thank you Caleb, I'm gonna look for another cause of the trouble (out volume really too low).

Comment

I have a very old acousticaster and the pre amp is dead , finished, the funeral was last week, as the guitar is excellent and I want to keep it is there any chance anyone has the old preamp . Or is there an alternative to put electrics back into my lovely old acousticaster.

Comment

Hey Tony,
                          Thanks for posting.

That preamp has been out of regular production for over two decades, so finding a replacement in decent shape is a tall order. If you want to keep the guitar going, there are a few ways to do that without the original preamp.

The first option is to use the LB Preamp. The LB Preamp is an endpin preamp that will work with the LB6 pickup in the guitar. It has a 9v battery and single thumbwheel volume control. The volume control can be changed out with a traditional/larger pot or even a volume and tone setup.

The other option is to wire the LB6 directly to the output jack to be used with an external preamp. This option does require an external preamp but does not require any batteries on the guitar.

Another option is to remove the LB6 completely and install a completely new system like the Element VTC. I installed the VTC in my Godin bass, and I added traditional volume and tone pots into the top for easy access. The VTC works great for this kind of setup and it's still very full sounding.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

I am also looking for a replacement preamp: I own a Godin Multiac duet nylon strings that I purchased in the mid 90'. Serial number is 97242531. Unfortunately, after almost 20 years of great service, the preamp stopped working. Do you have some of those available as replacements, as well?
                            teatv download
                            hellodear.in

Last edited by blingslingkling123; 06-01-2022, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blingslingkling123 View Post
                              I am also looking for a replacement preamp: I own a Godin Multiac duet nylon strings that I purchased in the mid 90'. Serial number is 97242531. Unfortunately, after almost 20 years of great service, the preamp stopped working. Do you have some of those available as replacements, as well?
                              I can do some digging around and see if we have anything, but I'm pretty sure we don't have anything for the Multiac Duet anymore. That system wasn't in production as long as some of the other systems we made for Godin.

Would you be able to send me a picture or two of the electronics you have? You can email me at [email protected], and I will see what I can find.

Comment

Working...
                              X