Venue DI won't clip with gain all the way up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venue DI won't clip with gain all the way up

Hoping someone can help me with this. I have a Venue DI box. When I try to set my gain, I can't seem to get the clip meter to get into the red, even with the gain turned all the way up. When I play as loud as I possibly can, it seems to barely make it into the yellow. Anybody know why this could be? I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to all this stuff, so this could be something really stupid and simple that I'm missing here. My 9V battery is good. Thanks in advance for any support you could offer.

Hi Kmlowery,

I have a couple questions about your equipment and settings that may shed some light on the issue.

First of all, have you compared or can you compare this Venue DI to another Venue DI? If you have access to another Venue DI, it would be good to know if the other behaves the same or differently?

What pickup(s) have you connected to the Venue DI? Is it passive or active?

If the pickup is passive, how long is the cable between the guitar and the Venue DI?

If your pickup is active, does it have an output volume control and, if so, where do you have it set when playing?

Please reply at your convenience.

Comment

Hi Bryan,
      Thanks for your response. I'll do my best to answer your questions:
      1) I don't have another Venue DI that I could try out nor have I used one previous to this one. That would be nice so I could see if the problem was with the DI or my setup.

2) I don't know if my guitar pickup is active or passive. I have a Taylor 12-fret acoustic guitar with the factory pick-up in it. It holds a 9V battery. Not sure if that helps answer that question.

3) The instrument cable between my guitar and the DI is approx. 15feet.

4) My guitar does have a volume knob on it. I typically have it at the mid level or 3/4 of the way up. I've tried increasing this to the max and still am unable to get the DI to clip.

Thanks for any light you could shed on this!

Comment

Thanks for replying. Your answers will help determine if there is an issue and what it could be.

The battery in your guitar means there is an active pickup system installed. It would be good to ensure the battery in the guitar is not getting weak. Since the pickup system is active, the length of cable between the guitar and the Venue DI is not a factor.

It's helpful to know that it isn't a foregone conclusion that every signal can be made to clip at the input of a Venue DI or any other preamp. It depends a lot on the strength of the signal coming from the system on the guitar. It could be low enough to not clip with all the Venue DI's gain applied. An example would be our passive magnetic soundhole pickup called the M1. It's not likely to clip even with all the Venue DI's gain applied.

Have you gotten the signal to clip when connecting directly to an amp or PA channel(bypassing the Venue DI) and turning up the gain for that channel?

Do you have access to another acoustic with a built-in active pickup system? If you don't have another Venue DI or a Para DI available for comparison, the next best test could be to play another signal through your Venue DI to test for similar behavior.

Perhaps the most important question I can ask is: How does it sound? Does the signal sound like it should, despite not being able to cause clipping at the Venue DI's input?

Please reply when able.

Comment

Hi Bryan,
          I will try the Venue DI with another guitar sometime and also try it directly plugged into my mixer to see if it clips on the board. To answer your question, the sound seems fine - nothing is distorted or anything of that nature. I guess I just had the misconception that if I couldn't set the gain according to the factory instructions (i.e. having my loudest playing levels in the orange) then it meant my system wasn't connected correctly or accurately.

Comment

Similar "issue" here

although I'm coming out of a Rhodes with a passive output. I can actually get in the yellow fairly well, and truthfully - depending on where I'm going with the signal (amp or interface) I get a good, clean input into both. However, I am curious about the length of the cable for a passive output. Right now I have what appears to be a six foot line cable out of the Rhodes into the Venue's input. I could probably get away with a 4 foot, if I had one...

But what length cable would issues begin arising when coming out of a passive output?

Comment

Hi Kmlowery,

Thanks for the reply. If the guitar's output signal is low enough, you could apply most or all of the Venue DI's gain before risking clipping. That seems awfully low for the output of an active pickup system. Then again, it's not common for an active signal to be that low but I just re-read the part where you said you kept the volume at half or 3/4.

For other reasons(signal-to-noise ratio), we highly recommend setting the output of an installed active pickup system to maximum. That sends a stronger signal from the start of the signal path and should do two things - 1. allow the signal to clip the Venue DI's input at a high enough gain setting and 2. allow you to apply less gain before clipping.

Please let me know if that improves the situation.

Comment

Hi ImNotDedYet,

Thanks for your question. I have one of my own.

Are you referring to a Rhodes electric piano and, if so, does the output you described as passive operate without the Rhodes being plugged in or switched on?

Does changing the length of cable between it and the Venue DI affect the apparent strength of the signal?

Reply at your convenience.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan McManus View Post
                  Hi ImNotDedYet,

Thanks for your question. I have one of my own.

Are you referring to a Rhodes electric piano and, if so, does the output you described as passive operate without the Rhodes being plugged in or switched on?

Does changing the length of cable between it and the Venue DI affect the apparent strength of the signal?

Reply at your convenience.
                  Thanks for the follow up Bryan.

Yes, I'm referring to a Rhodes electric piano. It actually doesn't have a power switch. I can "play" it with no power or amplificiation, but it's crazy quiet. I haven't bothered attempting to switch the length of the cable yet as I don't have one shorter than 6 feet, other than those 6" between pedal cables. I'll pick up a shorter chord next time I'm in Guitar Center and see if it makes any difference and report back here.

To be honest, I'm getting a good signal coming out of the Venue into both an amp and straight to an audio interface. My question was more of a curiosity thing, but also wanting to get the best sound possible.

Comment

Working...
                  X