Anthem SL or Session VTC in Martin DSS-17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthem SL or Session VTC in Martin DSS-17

I am getting a Martin DSS-17 Black Smoke as soon and they come in to Sweetwater and I would love to have a pickup ready to install. I have seen lots of folks talking about both of these pickups but I didn't find info on which is better for which application.

I will be playing this guitar in full band and solo settings. My gut tells me that the Anthem SL is the way to go for sound but that it might be more prone to feedback than the Session VTC. Any opinions? Any try both in the Martin Dread?

Also how good is the Session at removing some of the piezo quack?

Thanks in advance

Hey Jim,
    Thanks for emailing.

As far as feedback goes, the Anthem SL and the Session VTC should be nearly identical when it comes to feedback. If anything, turning up the Saturation on the Session VTC will actually make it more prone to feeding back compared to the SL.

The Session VTC is the best standalone undersaddle pickup that I've played, but it still doesn't sound as good as the Anthem SL. The SL has such a great balance of tone quality and versatility.

If your gut is to go with the SL, I would do it. It is going to be more microphonic and sensitive to body noise, but the overall tone is going to be much more natural.

Comment

Thanks Caleb! That is surprising about the feedback being the same or worse on the Session. I would assume because of the mic the chances of feedback are greater on the Anthem SL.

Comment

The mic in the SL doesn't carry any low-end at all, so the mic really doesn't feed-back when its set correctly.

It's hard to believe, but the pickup will feed-back before the mic in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb_Elling View Post
          The mic in the SL doesn't carry any low-end at all, so the mic really doesn't feed-back when its set correctly.

It's hard to believe, but the pickup will feed-back before the mic in most cases.
          That makes sense! Thanks so much for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X