Tru mic plus Pur Mini?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tru mic plus Pur Mini?

I have a 1954 Martin D-28 with the X bracing moved back 1/2 inch toward the rear. It makes the part of the bridge plate forward of the saddle a small triangle which is too small to to fit the TRU mic with the anthem system. Also I can't use the under saddle pickup on the anthem for two reasons. 1 I hate to drill through the bridge on this vintage guitar, and two, it's not a drop in Saddle so the edges of the saddle are exposed. I've looked at many pick up systems and haven't been able to find the perfect system for live performance that includes an actual microphone, with or without a Piezo.

My luthier installed a 1" rear extension to the bridge plate which allowed him to install the pads of a K&K pure Mini to the rear of the holes for the strings. Since I can't install the under saddle would it be possible, and / or reasonable!, to install the TRU mic and combine it together with the pure Mini? Or just install the Tru mic by itself? Thanks!

Originally posted by gmilici View Post
    I have a 1954 Martin D-28 with the X bracing moved back 1/2 inch toward the rear. It makes the part of the bridge plate forward of the saddle a small triangle which is too small to to fit the TRU mic with the anthem system. Also I can't use the under saddle pickup on the anthem for two reasons. 1 I hate to drill through the bridge on this vintage guitar, and two, it's not a drop in Saddle so the edges of the saddle are exposed. I've looked at many pick up systems and haven't been able to find the perfect system for live performance that includes an actual microphone, with or without a Piezo.

My luthier installed a 1" rear extension to the bridge plate which allowed him to install the pads of a K&K pure Mini to the rear of the holes for the strings. Since I can't install the under saddle would it be possible, and / or reasonable!, to install the TRU mic and combine it together with the pure Mini? Or just install the Tru mic by itself? Thanks!
    The K&K won't work as a replacement for the undersaddle pickup in the Anthem, but you could try using the Lyric mic, which is the full-range version of the Anthem mic. Installing the Lyric would allow you to use the K&K on the same jack, exiting the guitar in stereo. A stereo or stereo-Y cable would allow you to send both signals to an amp or mixer to then be mixed together.

This is probably the best, if not the only way, to get a Tru-Mic in the guitar to use with the K&K. Stereo can be tricky though since it does require some specific equipment.

Comment

This is a interesting idea that I will look into. Thanks!

Comment

I saw a demo of the lyric on YouTube and it sounds great!

Depending on how long it is, because of my rear shifted X bracing I may have to install it behind the string holes. Would that adversely affect the Lyric's sound?

Being a microphone is it still a good idea to go through an acoustic guitar preamp?

If I were able to install it in front of the string holes and I could therefore keep the pure Minis, if it can be eq'd properly is it better to have a mic / Piezo combination liking anthem, or simply the lyric by itself?

thanks in advance for answering so many questions.

Comment

The Lyric can actually work pretty well with alternate placements. I've installed the Lyric mic on the back of a few bridgeplates, with good results in most cases. There are a few threads here on mic placement if you want to see some other people's experiences.

Comment

Working...
          X