No announcement yet.

Session DI on my new pedal board...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For comparison...here's basically the same track without the Session's compression and saturation, and no chorus, and the Venue set at 12:00...basically a dry signal....you'll notice that the volume between the finger picking parts and the strumming is substantial.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1
    Last edited by Martin Maniac; 06-20-2015, 06:21 AM.

Comment

After listening to these two tracks many times, I can definitely hear the difference the multi-band compressor in the Session is making. It is now a permanent effect in my recording rig...it makes the recorded track sound much more professional.

Comment

Okay here's an A/B test for you, same clip off the looper,...

https://soundcloud.com/djwayne2000

This is a D-35>Lyric Pickup>Ditto Looper> Venue set at 12:00> Session at 2:00 or off >Computer. All other levels remained the same. These clips can be downloaded for closer examination.
        Last edited by Martin Maniac; 06-20-2015, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Hey Martin Maniac, thanks for sharing your setup and pedal board! Qn... is it better to put your reverb after or before your session+venue setup? Have you tested the difference which is better?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ukesam View Post
            Hey Martin Maniac, thanks for sharing your setup and pedal board! Qn... is it better to put your reverb after or before your session+venue setup? Have you tested the difference which is better?

Thanks!
            No I haven't tested reversing the reverb and Sessions pedals. I'm happy with the current chain. Personally, in my mind, I want the Session unit at the very end of my chain so it controls my entire final signal. I think it would be pointless to have effects after the Session because it would defeat the purpose of the multi-band compressor. Seriously, what's the point of compressing a signal, then adding effects to it later ??

You're certainly welcome to try other signal chains to your heart's content and feel free to report your findings here in this thread.

Comment

I will add a +1 to the "try both, and see what you like" idea. I personally prefer to run my guitar signal chain like I would run a signal in my studio mixing chain. However, even in the studio, different instruments/tracks require a different signal chain to achieve the best results. It's not a one-size-fits-all method.

My approach is usually to compress and EQ the guitar to get the best tone that I can, then I'll add effects on top of that to get the best and most natural response from my effects. I really don't like to compress reverb, if I can avoid it. It changes the tone and response/feel of the reverberation (for better or for worse).

So try both ways, and just use your ears.

Comment

Working...
              X