Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violin pickup noise

Hi,

I'm connecting my violin to my FX amp and it produces a static low hum.
    The hum disappears whenever I touch any of the jack-cable connectors, or even if I touch the cord connecting the bridge to the carpenter jack (see video).

The noise occurs with both cables I tried (both utilizing Neutrik connectors), and also when directly connected to amp.

Any solutions?

Hello weitzhandler,
    Is this a new issue that has developed? Or have you only recently installed the pickup?

Let me know and I will do what I can to help. Also, for quicker communication, feel free to email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

Hi, Caleb and thank you so much for your kind and quick reply! For some reason I didn't get an email notification on your reply, will try to lookup the notification settings. I preferred posting here, so that other people or even myself can potentially benefit from this too in the future.

Anyway, I am pretty new to this setup, so it's hard for me to tell if this noise is new. What things can I try?
      Last edited by weitzhandler; 09-22-2020, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Are you getting the same noise in different rooms? Also, does it still occur if you plug the Violin directly into the amp's input? Bypassing any effects is the best place to start.

Comment

Thanks for your reply,

I haven't tried in different rooms, but it also occurs when I connect directly to the amp.
          I tested the grounding with a multimeter and seems to be fine.

Interestingly, if I touch one of the connectors (Neutrik) or the cord between the pickup and the bridge, or if I connect the violin through an effects pedal, and I connect it with a USB cable to my PC - the noise stops.

Comment

Interesting.
            If you have to add another path to Ground to stop the hum, it would seem that the amp may not be grounding the signal properly.

Does that amp have a two-prong power plug or a standard 3-prong?

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb_Elling View Post
              Interesting.
              Does that amp have a two-prong power plug or a standard 3-prong?
              Yup it's a 2 one, no grounding. Do you believe it's the amp then?

Comment

That would be my guess. If you can, try another amp and see if the noise improves.

Comment

I really appreciate your input, Caleb! Consider this thread as resolved until further notice.

Comment

Working...
                  X