Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constant hiss from the full Anthem pickup system

Hello all,

My name is Jeremy, and I'm from Vancouver, Canada. I bought a brand new Lakewood M32 CP recently, and it came with the full Anthem pickup system installed. It's an amazing sounding pickup, but it does have an audible, constant, and even level hiss/white noise. I have searched the forum and only found people with similar but not the same problem.

There are no pops or crackles. Adjusting the mix, mic level, and phase inversion have no effects on the noise in that they do not change the quality nor level of the constant hiss. Adjusting the volume will make everything louder or quieter, including the hiss. I use a Yamaha THR5A amp at home, but I also brought my guitar to the music store and tried a few other amps, such as the Fishman Loudbox Mini and the Hughes & Kettner Era 1, and my guitar still emits the same constant hiss on all 3 amps whenever I bring up either the gain or volume on the amp.

I even bought an Align series Session pedal (and have tried it on all those amps) to see if I can improve the signal to noise ratio, and while it does make the hiss slightly quieter, I would say it's only around 10~20% less, which is not quite good enough.

I am not experienced at all with acoustic pickups, but my other main guitar is a Taylor 214ce with ES2, and it basically has no audible noise for most configurations and levels (unless you really crank up the gain to a not-so-practical level using a preamp). Therefore, I am wondering if the hiss is something inherent to all acoustic guitar pickup systems that use a microphone? Is this something normal and to be expected?

It is a bit surprising to me, because while yes, most people won't be able to hear the hiss once I start playing, and if that were also true for me I'd be fine with it. But even after I start playing, I can still hear the hiss underneath my sound, so it's quite a distracting and unpleasant experience. This also makes recording my guitar an issue. While I record with both an actual mic and line-in, I don't see why I am not allowed to record with just line-in sometimes, especially with how natural sounding the Anthem system is - but currently, I cannot do that because the hiss really does degrade the recording quite a bit. Noise gates can help, but that's neither an effective nor a long term solution.

I would prefer not to uninstall and to replace the Anthem system in my guitar, especially if the hiss is also going to be present in other pickup systems that involve a mic. If anyone could help me learn more and resolve this issue, that would be great!

Thank you for your time and attention.

Hey Jeremy,
    Thanks for posting.

If you want to email me directly at [email protected], I will see what I can do to help you out with this.

Comment

Dear Sirs,

I've got the same problem with my Lakewood D-14CP with the full anthem pickup system.
      There is a slight white noise when I turn the mix-control to "Mic" (loudest at 100% Mic and 100% Volume).

A direct comparision with my other Lakewood D-31CP (same PU) shows a less significant white noise (negligible).

Is this maybe a question of the right adjustment of the "mic level trim port"?

Need your help.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

SB1979
      Last edited by SB1979; 12-07-2019, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SB1979 View Post
        Dear Sirs,

I've got the same problem with my Lakewood D-14CP with the full anthem pickup system.
        There is a slight white noise when I turn the mix-control to "Mic" (loudest at 100% Mic and 100% Volume).

A direct comparision with my other Lakewood D-31CP (same PU) shows a less significant white noise (negligible).

Is this maybe a question of the right adjustment of the "mic level trim port"?

Need your help.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

SB1979
        It could be an issue with having the Mic Level set too high, but that would likely sound too bright/harsh. It might be a good idea to unplug the mic (black wire) from the back side of the preamp to see if that gets rid of the noise. It sounds to me like the mic itself might be noisy.

Comment

Working...
        X