Blending LB6 & Lyric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blending LB6 & Lyric

I recently had an LB6 installed in a guitar which is also equipped with a Lyric system. (two jacks) Any advice on blending the two pickup signals? I have the Lyric EQed very nicely for strumming, but things start to get hinky when I need enough gain for bare-fingered picking in a noisy setting.

I presume it’s somewhat possible to blend these two pickups (despite the LB6’s phase reversal design) as is done with the Doyle Dykes signature model.

If you have two jacks coming from the guitar, it's usually easiest to blend the signals with a stereo preamp or small notepad mixer. Depending on what you use, the sources can be EQ'd so that they complement each other when blended, or so that you can use one as your primary pickup and the other to add some missing aspect from the guitar's tone. As you mentioned the LB6 does have sensors out of phase, so it can be a little tricky to blend well with other sources.

Is your LB6 pickup passive or active?

Comment

Passive. I’m using a PADI to preamp it. Cutting a bit around 900 Hz and notching a bit around A#. I’m using a Zoom A1-4 to EQ the Lyric. It’s digital imitation of a Boss GE7 is quite effective with my Lyric and also effective for the Anthem SL in another guitar. The A1-4 also has a manually available (outside the pre-programmed patches) three band EQ for “quick and dirty” adjustments at the gig. The ultimate plan is to route the LB6 signal through the A1-4’s Aux In so that a single blended signal will show up at the A1-4’s unbalanced out. I may also need a direct box with phase inversion capability after the A1-4, if I find a need for “global” phase inversion on the blend.

At this point I seem to be preferring about a 40/60 blend, Lyric/LB6 blend. The LB6 has the thicker, more compressed sound and the Lyric adds more high end detail and some liveliness to the top which I like.

What is weirding me out is that I have a hard time choosing a preferred blend when I alter the phase between the two signals. With other pickup pairs, it’s much easier to listen and find which phase relationship provides a more pleasing blend.

Comment

Originally posted by guitaniac View Post
        What is weirding me out is that I have a hard time choosing a preferred blend when I alter the phase between the two signals. With other pickup pairs, it’s much easier to listen and find which phase relationship provides a more pleasing blend.
        That makes sense to me that you'd get slightly different tonal "coloring" by changing the phase relationship between the pickup and mic. It can be a tricky balance, especially with the LB6's alternate phased sensors.

Comment

I should mention that one of our AGF members is very pleased with the LB6/Lyric system in his Doyle Dykes signature Multiac. That’s what gave me encouragement to give the combo a try - that and the fact that the previous UST in this guitar had poor string balance. I knew from previous experiences that the string response is very even with the LB6.

On the subject of Multiacs, I’ve noticed that the latest and greatest nylon Multiac uses a Hex/Lyric pickup combo. I’ve always loved the Hex in my classical, so it’s nice to see that pickup brought back, if only for a specialized reason.

Thanks for the advice on my LB6/Lyric combo. I’m convinced it’s a GO at this point.

Comment

The particular EQ that I used on the Lyric sounds very good for strumming through my Fishman SoloAmp. I'd probably be inclined to use mostly the Lyric signal for strumming, with possibly a little LB6 added to thicken the sound. The LB6 signal is noticeably more compressed and I'd likely want to use more LB6 signal for bare-fingered picking in a noisy environment, or crazy loud settings in general. roblox toy codes mobdro
            Last edited by thaleszop; 02-03-2023, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X