Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ammaclean
    replied

I can't find info on the particular four DANUBE MAUS used in the Isolator, for example, but I seriously doubt Dan would say they are Iso if they were not. Each module is dead quiet on everything else and if it's good enough for Ed O'Brien then...

However, I may grab a Strymon just to see because there does seem to be some kind of digital cross-talk going on and somehow not delivering enough juice.

Leave a comment:

• Caleb_Elling
    replied
    Yeah, isolated power supplies will definitely vary in their ability to isolate. Some power supplies say "isolated" and just mean that they have separate outputs. More expensive power supplies have separate power transformers for each output, which can make a huge difference in power-related noise.

I do think it's strange that the Voodoo Labs is like that since I believe that they use some kind of transformer or filtering for each output.

I just ordered a TrueTone CS6 supply that I'm going to try out with the VPDI and a few other pedals. I'll report back with whatever I find out.

Leave a comment:

• ammaclean
    replied
    Well,

"Each of the Isolator's 4 outputs deliver a very clean, isolated 9v DC supply"
    "The TIMELORD is also the perfect source to deliver clean, isolated power"
    etc.

Straight off a distributor would not be isolated per se, but if all others are isolated then that one is isolated from the rest.

And remember, it was also happening with the Voodoo. Does make me wonder if the ones (e.g., Strymon) would work without the noise.

Leave a comment:

• Caleb_Elling
    replied
    From what I can tell, the GigRig isn't actually an isolated power supply, so it makes sense that you'd get noise when using multiple pedals.

If you run the VPDI on the power supply that came with it, does that help with noise?

Leave a comment:

• ammaclean
    replied
    Never mind. The noise came back as soon as I hook up the pedals. The VPDI really likes being on its own PS. Then it is quiet. So, no single one plug power for the whole pedalboard it seems.

Leave a comment:

• ammaclean
    replied
    This came from running both a Boss RC-600 and VPDI directly (no isolation) from the GigRig Distributer (way more than enough power for both). The VPDI was squealing and thumping like crazy. I tried delivering 550ma to the VPDI with a TimeLord (isolated) and the RC-600 still direct (which still means it is isolated from all other pedals), squealing like it did historically. Doubling the current with 2x TimeLord (isolated) and RC-600 direct (non-iso, but still iso from all other pedals)....Quiet. Running VPDI from Distributer and RC-600 from provided Boss PSU (so technically not isolated from each other), fairly quiet.

So, it seems to be a combo of isolation and current.

I will also need to do some experimenting, such as trying the VPDI again from a Voodoo 400ma (which didn't work), but I can try doubling current from two 400ma. Problem is RC-600 requires more than 800ma, so I could not just double to run both from the same iso PSU...confound in the experiment.

Agreed, this is really odd and should not be the case... Probably just an interaction with a different quantum reality or fairy dust, but if it fixes the noise problem I'm happy.

Leave a comment:

• Caleb_Elling
    replied
    [QUOTE=ammaclean;n10998][USER="212"]Caleb_Elling[/USER] SOLUTION. I just ran the VPDI off of two GigRig TimeLords (current doubling, making 1100ma available while still isolated from all other pedals) and it is quiet. Somehow, it is requiring a lot more amps than officially stated.[/QUOTE]

That's a very interesting result.

The VPDI won't ever draw more current than it needs to operate, which is about 300-350mA. I regularly run my VPDI on a TrueTone 1-Spot, which has 1700mA available, and I've never noticed any difference in noise between that and the included power supply. If you're getting a noticeable difference in noise, it shouldn't be related to the current(emphasis on "shouldn't").

I'll have to see if I can find a good isolated power supply to try and replicate your results.

Leave a comment:

• ammaclean
    replied
    [USER="212"]Caleb_Elling[/USER] SOLUTION. I just ran the VPDI off of two GigRig TimeLords (current doubling, making 1100ma available while still isolated from all other pedals) and it is quiet. Somehow, it is requiring a lot more amps than officially stated.

Leave a comment:

• ammaclean
    replied
    I took your advice of increasing the guitar input volume and VPDI output volume. Given the high pitch noise is at a constant volume, this essentially lowered the noise floor. This helped a lot. The noise is still there when nothing is playing, but not noticeable once playing the guitar.

Leave a comment:

• Caleb_Elling
    replied
    [QUOTE=ammaclean;n10867][USER="212"]Caleb_Elling[/USER]
    I tried to PM, but you box is full.

​​​​​​​The sales person at L&M agreed the noise was really loud on both unit. I'm surprised you haven't been able to replicate it.

Now here is a supper odd thing and points to some kind of power feedback. When the VPDI was connected, I'd flip the power on the pedalboard and my delay would reset to a very fast tap tempo. It made me wonder, but whatever. Tap, tap, tap, all good. However, this has not happened once since removing the VPDI.

I would like to know if the BT (a possible source) is hardwired or has the potential to be turned off in the software. Or whatever you think the source is...Can it be firmware fixed? If it can can be fixed in a future update, I would like to go get the VPDI back.

Let me know. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

I just checked my messages on here and I don't have any in my inbox. If you want to email me directly, you can do that at [email][email protected][/email].

I asked our engineering team about the Bluetooth being the cause of the noise, but they told me that the Bluetooth itself is not the cause of the high-frequency noise you encountered. It was the cause of the clicking that you encountered in certain situations, but the hiss is from something else.

We are working on this to see what can be done.

Leave a comment:

• ammaclean
    replied
    [USER="212"]Caleb_Elling[/USER]
    I tried to PM, but you box is full.

​​​​​​​The sales person at L&M agreed the noise was really loud on both unit. I'm surprised you haven't been able to replicate it.

Now here is a supper odd thing and points to some kind of power feedback. When the VPDI was connected, I'd flip the power on the pedalboard and my delay would reset to a very fast tap tempo. It made me wonder, but whatever. Tap, tap, tap, all good. However, this has not happened once since removing the VPDI.

I would like to know if the BT (a possible source) is hardwired or has the potential to be turned off in the software. Or whatever you think the source is...Can it be firmware fixed? If it can can be fixed in a future update, I would like to go get the VPDI back.

Let me know. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• ammaclean
    replied
    Even if not at the same level, have you tried shutting off the BT or is it hardwired "on" all the time? Bluetooth is the only thing I have found that sound and acts anything like it.

To summarize:
    Noise is there regardless of main volume up/down, 1/4 or XLR, muted/unmuted, IR mix, guitar plugged in/not, isolated or non-iso power/provided power/insufficient power (e.g., 300ma). Signal from Send has less loud high pitch. Insuffiicient power still has high pitch, but pop/thumps as expected.

Using Send is tolerable and once playing the high pitch is drowned out from either 1/4 or XLR (unless playing quietly, as many an acoustic part can be), but again imagine looping and compounding the high pitch sound.

Nevertheless, the main IR sound, once recorded well and tweaked, is amazing! Your competitor's product I picked up yesterday is okay, but does not sound nearly as good. Indeed, I am feeling some regret at frustratedly trading it in, but it is just not usable for low volume, sparse, ambient or overdubbed/looping parts.

Leave a comment:

• Caleb_Elling
    replied
    [QUOTE=ammaclean;n10863][USER="212"]Caleb_Elling[/USER]
    Wait, are you saying that this can be fixed? If so, I may just go get the pedal and my $150 back! I really love the sound, just not the extraneous sound.[/QUOTE]

I'm looking into trying to replicate the issue first. If I can replicate the issue, then we might be able to figure out what's going on and how to deal with it. So far, I haven't been able to reproduce the same level of noise with any combination of pickups, amps, or power configurations. I'm still working on it though.

Leave a comment:

• ammaclean
    replied
    Wait, are you saying that this can be fixed? If so, I may just go get the pedal and my $150 back! I really love the sound, just not the extraneous sound.

Leave a comment:

• ammaclean
    replied
    Long & McQuade, Calgary. I doubt they will contact you given both mine and new did the same. So, they figure LR Baggs would view it as functioning as designed. Thus the loss of $150.
    I still enjoy my LR Baggs M80.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X